Saturday, July 10, 2010

The ol girl has got to go!


I remember 10 or 12 yrs ago when i first saw her...Oooph!! I really loved her, but now she is losing her body. she wont work as hard, she wont cooperate like she did back then.. and well i have been looking around to dump her... I am talking about my ol 1987 Jeep Wrangler!! But man! the story's we could tell. I have put 189,000 miles on her. it has a rag top and a summer Bimini.. That jeep has spent more time surfing than Robert August. i remember when My youngest son was 11 and i let him drive it downtown...With me! and the local police stoped him. I asked why did you stop us officer?. He said "a child not big enough to see over the steering wheel tends to get my attention" I remember when me and Greg were on mustang island driving the back areas and we found a small mud hole to cross and it turned out to be a crevasse full of mud and we dropped off in a hole deep enough to sink us up to the seats in mud with no doors on! needless to say.. we walked a long way to find another 4wheel drive... I once went to the beach to surf hurricane waves and when i arrived the surfers were backed up the side streets because the surf was so giant as to completely cover the beaches and dunes. so i figured i would go in another way. I found a way in to the surf and proceeded to drive down the beach as a giant wave washed the jeep up on to the side of the dunes. I floored the accelerator and started driving thru the waves as the waves washed inside the jeep almost washing us out of the jeep if not for seatbelts. my heart was pounding as the next wave started to wash us out to sea.. keeping the accelerator mashed to the floor so the water would not drown out the engine. I could feel the next wave pick us up and carry us a little further out to sea.. each time the wave left i could feel the wheels hit sand and we would lurch forward another couple hundred feet. Desperately trying to get near the dunes so we could climb out of the sea..when we finally arrived near the other surfers they were yelling and cheering at me saying "Wow man didn't know if you were going to make it".. I just shrugged them off saying it was nothing, I knew i could do it! while hiding my shaking hands in my pockets.. The Jeep has square iron pockets on all four corners of the bumbers, these are for rods that protrude out to hang hammocks drown each side and we would sleep in hammocks on the jeep on the beach after a long day of surfing. and wake each morning with our campfire and cook eggs and coffee before the new day of surfing.. I can remember many of nights after surfing coming back from Corpus Christi in the middle of the night in pouring rain after leaving the top at home and driving with my head ducked down and one arm wiping the window off with a beach towel to see thru the rain and getting home shivering like crazy.. I can Remember sleeping in the jeep to close to the surf and the tide rising in the night and wakings up to see i was sunk to my axles in the surf..that will take you out of a deep sleep like a nightmare!.. But these days I have something that has taken me away from my surfing sessions. Granddaughters! and the family don't like the idea of me tramping around with them in a vehicle with such little metallic protection.. you know little things like Doors, Roof, Etc. So i was forced to buy a Land Rover and well...Baby Carriers.. i think it also a little bit hypocritical that when they were young they wanted to learn to drive.. I only mention that because of the concerns they seem to have that my 3 yr old granddaughter's can tell them how a jeep works.. you know.. were the keys go, the clutch, brakes,etc. anyway i also have a scooter now and the jeep seems to always have a layer of dust on it. I know i am going to miss the ol girl. Anyone who thought they may be interested in her, please disregard the post and remember..This Jeep was only driven once a week to Choir Practice

1 comment:

mactraks said...

Hilarious! How can you let her go? Good wrap-up at the end.